Thursday, August 22, 2013

High School Writing


When writing essays in high school the hardest part for me was my grammar. I’m not to good at proof reading and will often times miss my mistakes. Another part of essay writing I feel I struggled with was getting started on the essay. I knew what I wanted to say and had all the information I wanted to put in their but wouldn’t know how to get it started. I also usually procrastinate until the last few days then feel rushed and will just try to put my ideas down. I feel I am good at organizing all the information into different categories but sometimes by doing this I will lose the focus of the essay and have to always remind myself what exactly the point of the essay is. When I’m writing I am most productive with either complete silence or classical music playing at a low volume. This keeps me going and prevents writer’s bloc for me. One reason I don’t think I got great grades on my essays in high school was from not writing enough drafts and changing the material I had down. I was pretty stubborn with what I wrote and wouldn’t want to change the whole flow of the essay because of one problem. I am not good at writing essays that have a word count or page count because if I do end up short I trying just adding irrelevant information to what ever I’m trying to prove and that is another way my essays can sometimes lose focus. My best essays are the ones in which I feel real interested in what I am writing about.  Overall I don’t think I’m to great of a writer, which is why I’m looking forward to taking this class and learning different ways and styles of writing essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment